Friday, August 22, 2008

And here's the new

Finally about the snowflakes.
I made some, then I decided to try one I never made before (even if I have the book from ages) - the onion ring snowflake with SCMR off the onion from Monica Hahn's book. Well, I made it before, using (as it's suggested) two shuttles, but it was long time ago. Now I prefer the SCMR wherever I can put it. Long story short, after I made 2 spikes, I realized that the thrown ring is somewhat slanted.

It happens, because I joined the onion chain to the inside ring before making the off-ring. Well, I do not like it this way, even knowing I can fix the problem with blocking and stiffening. So I decided to try something else.
First, the idea was to join the chain to the picot after the SCMR. So we have this:

Then I realized that at this point I can kill two rabbits with one shot (Bulgarian proverb) and to join the chain together with closing the off-ring.

So I pulled the core thread for the SCMR through the joining picot, et voila, we have a better behaving off ring.



I do not know if it's something new, or somebody did it already (I bet it's the later), but I will appreciate all the comments I can get.

5 comments:

Jane Eborall said...

Clever idea. I must try that sometime. I've not seen it before but it's a very good idea. Thanks for showing it.
JaneEb

Toptattyhead said...

That's a really neat trick, Fani!

Unknown said...

Great trick!

Ridgewoman said...

What a creative solution Fani! I love watching your work progress.
Bev in NM

Thymedremr said...

Just wanted to say I have never seen it before. Will have to try it. Thanks for posting it. I really liked the photos you took it was very easy to see everything.