Friday, August 22, 2008

Not tatting this time

It's past the middle of August, and it's time for snowflakes again. I started to make some snowflakes couple a days ago. Actually, I needed to finish this:

first, so I had not too much time to tat recently. With a full time job ... but we need to eat LOL.
Long story short, at the beginning of August hubby went to his favorite (and mine too) Big Lots and came back with some yarn. Mohair, Fancy Fur, Brilliants and so on - on the nice price of dollar per a skein. Well, the next day I was there and I think I bought everything they had - now I can knit more often too.
I managed to finish the shawl 10 days ago - took me about a weekend and 2 evenings. It looks like this:

Soft, fluffy and will keep me warm enough in the New Orleans winter - for your information, I do not have a winter coat - I use shawls here. A poncho, couple serapes and now I have this one too. The idea was to make something like the Orenburg shawls, but the mohair is not the yarn you want for, so instead I divided at half one of my favorite knitted lace tablecloths, and added an edging about 6 inches wide. I hope I will be warm LOL, but working with mohair when the outdoors temperatures are over 100 is not fun.

5 comments:

Gina D. said...

Your shawl is very lovely. You did a great job.

Gina D. said...

Your shawl is lovely. You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

I ran across your post while searching for lace tablecloths. What a delightful idea to make a shawl out of a tablecloth. Wear it well!
Sandi from Sandi's T's

Sherry aka Celtic Dream Weaver said...

I am curious...what shawl pattern did you use to make your shawl. IT looks lovely. I have been knitting my self lately...lace shawls that is...I am finding I am getting hooked on the lace shawls.

fani's tatting said...

Sherry, I used a pattern from a tablecloth I call waves for the main part, and the edging is from a book with patterns for traditional shawls in the former Soviet Baltic Republics - they are very alike as the Orenburg shawls, but use thicker yarn. I am just dreaming for an Orenburg one, maybe one day...