Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Cold weather tatting

re

Hi all!
It's cold over here, we are gattered arround the fireplace, listening to the winter storm outside.
Not the best weather in South Central Texas.
I finally got some time to post again and to show what I did/got recently!
First - the presents.
My birthday is 2 weeks before xmas, and guess what I got this time!
Sit down - 4 of Peter Kua's shuttles - 2 albino horns (one plain, one with a phenix), 1 horn and one coconut!.

Well, here the phenix does not look much as a phenix, but it's still there!












As you can see, the cocnut shuttle is already in use - I started an oval doily with cream colored Gutermann's hand quilting coton. It's just a pleasure to work with (both the shuttle and the thread).







For Xmas I got (among the other things) Elgiva Nicols' tatting techniques book and a good copy of Lady Hoare's book. Isn't he just the perfect match for a tatter?

Yesterday we went finish the cold weather shopping - you know, people over here are not used to drive even with 1/4" snow on the roads. And we (I just had the feeling we need to) stopped by one of the local thrift stores - mostly to look for books and alike. This one usually has a pretty good supplies for crafts - ends and bits of fabrics and threads, I often discover some nice threads there. This time I managed to dig a gallon size bag with some bobins in different clors. Well, I had not my glasses, and the bag was sealed, but I got it. At home it happened to be a bagful of acrilic thread for punch embroydery - looks like a very fine wool, something between size 10 and size 15.



I was disappointed in the beginning - the thread is somewhat fluffy for my stile of tatting - I err more on the tight side. I started to think about what to make with it today, and remembered about a thread somewhere in the mailing lists about a tatted shawl. This yarn is just right for making a shawl from pieces. The idea I have now is to make about 100 (maybe less or more, depends of my mood) smal square motifs, then to join them together. I will think about the joining later - could be with tatting or with crochetted chains. Here's the start!
The motifs are rings only, from one of mine DMC's books. I decided to go for one shuttle, as the yarn is not too easy to work, and may cause troubles when working with chains and rings.

1 comment:

Memé said...

I liked a lot the idea... tat 100 squares with one shuttle...
Now I would like to know how did you join them....?
Can you show me that?
Thanks,
Memé