Sunday, July 06, 2008

How to make a barrette my way

Recently a friend of mine asked to make her a barrette. I knew there were some patterns I wanted to try, mainly Nancy's from Be-stitched, I just had no motif to do it before. So, after I got ready to start and even was half way ready, I realized I do not like the way the tatting looks like. Well, I used thinner thread (my fav poly Turkish one) and seed beads, so I guess this was a good reason to not to get whatever I wanted. Instead of cutting all and starting all over again, I decided to try to make the small band fuller.
See what I have in mind.



The idea I had was instead to making the chain of rings longer than the barrette base and then gather the rings together through the spaces between them, to make a row of rings the exact size of the barrette, and then double it or even make 3 or 4 rows for a fuller effect. As you can see from the picture, the second row of rings is lock joined to the first using the spaces between the rings.
As I kept going, it looked like 2 rows will not be enough, so I started with a third row:



As you can see, the 2 first rows are folded together, and I keep working over the third row, joining it the same way. The look now is fuller. When I finish I will post a picture again, it starts looking interesting.

1 comment:

Barbara Gordon said...

I love your idea and will wait to see the finished barette. I watch two very feminine little girls that I would just love to make these for. Good Luck and keep us posted!